From: Robert Brunner (rbrunner_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2008 - 14:42:45 CST

VMD makes use of standard OS "virtual memory". However, if you're
using one of the pre-compiled Windows binaries, It is compiled as a 32-
bit program, and therefore can only access 2G of real or virtual
memory, I think. I'm not sure whether you can compile the latest alpha
source to get a 64-bit binary, but even if you can access more than 2G
of memory, performance will be poor unless you can fit all of your
data into actual RAM.

If you're asking whether it takes advantage of some kind of program-
specific disk file for out-of-core processing of trajectory data, no
it does not. Everything is loaded into the program's address space.