From: Lars Bruno Hansen (lhansen_at_fysik.dtu.dk)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 06:15:02 CST

dear all,

I have a question about using VMD as a loadable python module.
I think I need this in order to use the python scripts startvmd.py
and the python class Molecule.

As I understand it I have to compile from the source code, as the loadable
python module vmd is not included in the binary distribution
vmd-1.8a29.bin.LINUX.opengl.tar.

I use the options for the source distribution 1.8:
LINUX OPENGL TCL PYTHON PTHREADS SWIG SHARED

I edited the configure script and changed python_include, python_library
and the plugin_dir. I did not change any setting for SWIG, like
swig_h and swig_ccpp (I am unsure if this is correct) . After this I ran

make depend

using an empty Makedata.depend (the Makedata.depend from the LINUX binary
distribution is empty).
After removing some extra '\' in Makedata.depend make did compile ok, until
I got the error

make: *** No rule to make target `vmd.i', needed by `vmd_python.C'.

I was not able to locate vmd.i. I am unsure if I am doing something wrong
or if this file is missing from the distribution?

My system is redhat linux 7.2.

Any help on this is very much appreciated.

with best regards
Lars

--
Lars Bruno Hansen
CAMP, Dept. of Physics, Building 307, DTU, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark