From: nbabcock_at_qis.ucalgary.ca
Date: Sat Oct 18 2008 - 14:06:35 CDT

Hi Everyone,

I had previously been using VMD under Windows, and it worked wonderfully.
I recently threw off the Microsoft shackles (hooray!), and I am now
running VMD on the exact same hardware under Ubuntu Linux 8.04 (Xfce
desktop).

I find VMD performance is noticeably worse under Linux. When rotating or
translating a molecule the motion is choppy, whereas before it was
perfectly smooth.

The hardware itself is an Intel Centrino Duo, with the graphics card:
Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2

I don't believe this card supports GLSL (if anyone can confirm this for
me, please do), but as I said, it still worked marvelously under Windows.

Any advice for bringing Linux performance up to speed with Windows on this
hardware would be greatly appreciated.

Cheerio,
Nathan Babcock
Institute for Quantum Information Science
University of Calgary