From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2008 - 13:23:14 CDT

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Christopher Hartshorn wrote:

christopher,

CH> Is catDCD in VMD? I can not find it in extensions menu. I need to cut a

catdcd is a standalone executable. it should be in the plugin tree somewhere
under $VMDHOME/plugins/<insert platform here>/bin/catdcd4.0/catdcd

CH> 3.4GB .dcd file into 1/2s, I think, because it continually crashes VMD
CH> around the 700/1000 frames. Any help would be appreciated.

why not tell VMD to load only 500 frames. You have an option to set.
the first, last and stride of frames that you want to load.

and then (later) load the other 500.

if your VMD session crashes because of running out of memory,
you won't have any gains from splitting the file into two
pieces and loading them seperately anyways.

cheers,
   axel.