From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2008 - 13:51:19 CDT

Hi,
  The VMD atom selection keyword for selecting these values
at present is "beta". You can make selections like "beta > 4"
if you like, and combine multiple selections together to select
a range or ranges of values.

The color scale is set and/or adjusted using the Graphics->Color window,
and changing the settings on the color scale tab. These are described
in the tutorials and User's Guide documentation.