From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2008 - 12:22:39 CDT

Rui,
  It depends on what you're planning to do within VMD. If you plan to
do much with volumetric data, then the larger video memory on the NVIDIA
card would be very beneficial. Another reason to go with the NVIDIA card
would be to take advantage of the CUDA acceleration in the next release
of VMD for MacOS X. I'm not sure what the typical graphics speed difference
is between those two cards on MacOS X, but the two items I listed above
are probably bigger factors to consider than just the difference in
pure graphics performance.