From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 10:08:06 CST

Dear Oliver,
  Yes, you can use socket mechanisms to control VMD through the use of a
relatively simple Tcl or Python script. An example of precisely this
type of work is provided in the VMD script library here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/vmdcollab/

This script allows you to make two VMD sessions link up and collaborate.
One VMD session acts as a "server" and the other(s) as clients. Any
operations performed by the various connected sessions get mirrored to
the others. One could take this script and modify it to do variations
on this, or to allow more single-directional control, etc, depending on
what you have in mind.

We'll answer your Python interpreter questions separately..

Thanks,