From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 12:57:37 CDT

Hi,
  If you want to watch the simulation while it's actually running,
you'll need to use the IMD interface, either through the use of the
AutoIMD plugin, or by running the "imd" commands in VMD by hand.
If you run them for yourself, you'll have to have to be sure to
setup the NAMD config file to enable IMD. There's a short tutorial on
this here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/imd/tutorial/

The use of IMD will indeed slow down the simulation somewhat as it
requires communication between VMD and NAMD, and this adds a little
more work for NAMD to deal with. That said, there's really no way to
visualize a running MD simulation with no performance cost, so if that's
what you want to do, this is really the only way to do it in practice.