From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 14:02:44 CST

Hi,
  For those people running VMD on Windows and MacOS X, this
will be of particular interest. We have fixed a problem with
the behavior of the state saving feature of VMD with regard to
filenames and pathnames containing spaces. (Relatively uncommon
on Unix, but very common on both Windows and MacOS X)

I've attached a new save_state.tcl script which you can use to replace
the one that came with the VMD 1.8 distribution. This will alleviate
problems with state files that reference molcules that have paths
containing spaces.

On Unix, this file would replace save_state.tcl, commonly found in:
  /usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/vmd/save_state.tcl

On Windows, it would commonly be found in:
  c:\program files\university of illinois\vmd\scripts\vmd\save_state.tcl

On Mac, it would be found in (relative to VMD.app directory):
  VMD.app/Contents/Resources/vmd/scripts/vmd/save_state.tcl

Let me know if you need any help with this.

If you are uncomfortable replacing this file yourself, we plan to have
a new release of VMD sometime in the next several weeks which will include
this and other fixes and improvements.

Please find the new save_state.tcl file attached to this message.

Thanks,