From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 11:07:09 CDT

Hi,
  I haven't personally tested the Dell FX100 device, nor the
Teradici chipset, but I've seen various similar devices in the past.
My main complaint with these devices is that they typically have a
difficult time keeping up with full-screen interactive frame rates at
high resolutions when they're used on a normal network.

Basically, these devices are real-time hardware video/audio/USB
encoder/decoder pairs with transmission over IP.
If you have a private subnet or a direct ethernet connection they
can work pretty well. On the other hand, if you have a busy network
or your IP connection has to pass through multiple routers and switches
to get to the other endpoint, you can experience glitching or hiccups in
screen updates, audio, etc. I tested a stereoscopic-capable device similar
to the Dell device on our building network a couple of years ago and found
that while it worked reasonably well with a direct connection, it had
troubles (both stereo and non-stereo) when used on the building network
due to competition from other traffic. Our building network is all
gigabit or better, but even so we have bursty traffic due to huge file
transfers to/from supercomputers, and analysis runs of huge MD trajectory
files.

So, in my opinion, if you can setup a private subnet just for your
PC-over-IP device, it may work out pretty well. If not, then I'd be
concerned over how well it would perform. Either way, you'll
want to get a loaner device and actually try it out to determine for
yourself.