From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2008 - 08:24:36 CDT

Hi Alan,
I tried a test similar to what you're doing, but I get the expected
difference in electrostatic energy with and without 1-4scaling set:

petefred_at_algiers ~/vmdwork/plugins/namdenergy =) $ namd2 namd-temp.namd
| grep ^ENERGY:
ENERGY: 0 126.2869 269.3353 419.3776
0.0000 -23272.6906 2774.5828 0.0000
0.0000 0.0000 -19683.1080 0.0000
-19325.0163 -19325.0163 0.0000
petefred_at_algiers ~/vmdwork/plugins/namdenergy =) $ namd2
namd-temp-noamb.namd | grep ^ENERGY:
ENERGY: 0 126.2869 269.3353 419.3776
0.0000 -22741.4070 2774.5828 0.0000
0.0000 0.0000 -19151.8244 0.0000
-18793.6619 -18793.6619 0.0000
petefred_at_algiers ~/vmdwork/plugins/namdenergy =) $ diff namd-temp.namd
namd-temp-noamb.namd
16,17c16,17
< 1-4scaling 0.833333
< scnb 2

---
 > #1-4scaling 0.833333
 > #scnb 2
petefred_at_algiers ~/vmdwork/plugins/namdenergy =( $
If you just test a pair of config files with/without this setting
outside of namdenergy, do things work ok for you?
Best,
Peter