From: Michael Redmond (redmond_at_engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 14:43:16 CST

John,
I actually do use that command when running scripts, but I usually hadn't
included it in the .vmdrc unless I was scripting a specific demo with
Windows (at least my current Windows version of VMD does not read scripts).
So I know how to do this and, for now, that is a reasonable solution. I can
probably even script it to come up with 0.0 eye separation, so to get
stereo, I would just need to increase that.

The NVidia Windows drivers have an option to sync to vertical. I have tried
to set it but to no effect. It turns out that I use the cheap eDimensional
"in-line" shutter glasses (about $70), and the image shearing initially
caused them to lose sync (every 12 seconds, there would be 6 "open shutter"
glitches 2 seconds apart that corresponded to the shearing). eDimensional
has a resync utility that I assume finds a good sync period and then forces
the glasses to ignore signals that are outside that period (not sure, but
that's how I would do it). This clears up the "open shutter" flashing of
the glasses, but the image shearing is still there. Again, this is on our
550XGL card (real cheap stereo at $250 or less). Out 900XGL also exhibits
shearing, but it is harder to spot (for us, on one periodic shear in the
top 10% of the screen - can't test with "in-line" glasses because the DVI
connector/VGA adapter is not compatible with the eDimensional
dongle/connection).

So, it appears that the NVidia driver recognizes the need to vertical sync
and then, for some reason, doesn't actually do it. That's my speculation
anyway...

This problem does not show up with clone mode (not too surprising). In our
initial tests, it also does not appear to show up under Linux with the same
shutter glasses. So someone at NVidia knows how to fix it. Interestingly
enough, other glitches have show up with Linux stereo, though not yet fully
verified. If you go to full-screen mode in stereo on one of our Linus apps
(CEI Enliten), one of the buffers gets corrupted. On the Windows side,
full-screen openGL stereo (not in a window) also messes up. We can't run
full-screen stereo Cortona as a result.

Lots of gotchas in the NVidia driver and/or hardware implementation still.
Too bad...

Thanks
Mike

---