From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 09:24:55 CDT

Hi,
  Yes, these options are only available via VMD scripting, however
you can invoke your own scripts with the "-e" flag, and you can pass
in command line parameters to your script with the "-args" flag.
Your original question didn't mention the issue of launching from
command line so I wasn't aware that this was an important
consideration for you. If you want to send me the PDB file,
please gzip it up and email it to me (not VMD-L, just me..)