From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2008 - 10:54:39 CDT

Hi,
  I'm not sure if this was answered or not while I was away, but
this sounds to me like you're using a version of Linux that has
bugs with the implementation of multithreading. This issue is
described in the VMD Linux release notes here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/linuxrelnotes.html

If indeed that's what's going on, you need to update your linux kernel
to one of the newer versions that fixes the problem.