From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 16 2008 - 01:33:59 CDT

Hi,
  VMD allows the use of both zero-based and one-based indexing,
depending on whether you use the atom selection keyword "index"
or "serial". When comparing selections between programs you
should always verify that you're using the same indexing scheme,
as there are natural variations between programming languages,
file formats, and many other source that can confound one's assumptions
of data portability between different software packages.

Cheers,
  John