From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu May 08 2008 - 11:39:07 CDT

Jufang,
  To be honest, the differences you're seeing do concern me,
but these could conceivably be caused by a very peculiar structure
or atom selection. This is why I want to get a copy of the structure
file you're performing these tests on, so I can see what atoms you've
selected, what sample points are being generated, and whether the
variation you're seeing would be explained by statistical likelihood
of sample points falling within other atom radii, at critical points,
e.g. due to differences in rounding between the platforms.

The x86 (PC) platform typically uses 80-bit floating point precision
for operations within registers regardless how one writes the code,
so it will get slightly different results than the other two platforms
which will do their arithmetic in 32-bit precision (which is how the
code is actually written). These small differences in rounding and
floating point precision can result in big differences in results in
the case when one does true/false inclusion/exclusion tests on values
that lie close to a critical boundary, e.g. a cutoff radius in a
molecular dyanmics force computation, or the intersection between
VdW radii in the case of the SASA calculation.

Anyway, please send me the structure file you're testing with so
I can have a closer look.