From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 10:33:33 CST

Hi Denys,

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 02:04:10PM +0100, Denys Bashtovyy wrote:
> I'd like to know, if it is possible (and how?) in VMD to map a
> hydrophobicity (according to any scale - of Eisenberg, KD etc) on the Connolly
> surface of a protein molecule?

A common practice for this sort of thing is to set the "beta" fields
of the atoms to value you're interested in, and then color by beta, in order
to see it. Take a look at the "betacolor_distance" example in the
User's Guide, it should be very helpful in allowing you to set arbitrary
values to use in coloring surfaces:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8/ug/node180.html

Thanks,