From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2008 - 14:29:46 CDT

Hi,
  In practice all of the warnings emitted with -Wall
when compiling VMD are of no consequence. A large fraction
of them are complaining about byte swapping functions that we
declare statically in a header file becuase each plugin must not
have any external dependencies other than the math library and such.
All of these warnings about unused byte swapping routines can be completely
ignored. We enable -Wall for compiling VMD for our own purposes. If
people find these warnings disturbing, they may with to compile without
it. None of the warnings that are presently emitted are anything to be
concerned about. Even the warning about the type punned pointer
can be ignored, as there should be no possibility of aliasing of paramters
in the code.

Cheers,
  JohnStone