From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 16:38:16 CDT

Hi,
  You can increase the encoder bitrate, that's the main MPEG-1
parameter one can adjust to get better quality. Beyond that the
best way to achieve better quality is switch to an MPEG-2 based
video encoder. We use ppmtompeg in VMD just because it's free,
it's available on lots of platforms, and the MPEG-1 movies play in
things like Powerpoint without installing any additional codecs.
I'm planning to add support for a few other movie encoders in the
next version of VMD.