From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 00:13:12 CDT

Ben,
  Regarding CVS, your best bet is to try getting to our CVS server
from a machine that's not blocked by whatever firewall you're being
affected by, or to ask your local security administration people to
open the CVS port 2401 so that you can access the server without problems.
There are a lot of new source files in the current CVS tree that
didn't exist when VMD 1.8.6 was released, this is a natural result of
ongoing development. The only solution I can recommend is to get your
network access issue resolved so that you can access our CVS server
without trouble. Many other people are using our CVS server without
problems, so I'm convinced you're being blocked by some sort of local or
campus level network firewall of some kind.