From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2008 - 14:14:12 CDT

Hi,
  The PostScript renderer in VMD is somewhat antique, and it
hasn't been able to keep pace with the rapid advancement of new
rendering primitives and shading capabilities provided by OpenGL
and the various external renderers. The point primitives are
presently "skipped" by the postscript renderer as it doesn't
contain PostScript commands to render these primitives at present.
I would recommend using the VDW spheres as you're doing presently,
as it's not clear to me when we'll have time to revise the
PostScript renderer to add support for the point primitives.