From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 10:29:59 CDT

Ben,
  Before you embark on building VMD for windows from the source
code, I would ask if there's a specific reason you want to do this?
It's actually a fair amount of work to compile VMD on the Windows platform
because you have to first compile Tcl/Tk, FLTK, and various other libraries,
all with the right combination of C library static/dynamic linkage mode,
and so on, even before you begin with VMD itself. While you can certainly
do it, it's probably a full day project even for someone that knows what
exactly what they're doing. Most of the effort really goes into fixing the
build settings of all of the other libraries that VMD gets linked against
so they are all consistent.

Once the libraries are compiled, the next step is to build the VMD plugins.
>From there, VMD itself is compiled, using all of the other libraries
compiled up to that point. Building VMD at this last stage is pretty
straightforward.

If you are unable to resolve your firewall issues, I can send you a tar
file of the Windows build area for VMD so you can build from the source
tar distribution instead.