From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2008 - 23:31:20 CDT

Hi,
  VMD can't presently allow structures with differing atom counts to
be loaded into the same molecule, and unfortunately, our current PDB
reader plugin always attempts to load multi-model structures into the
same molecule as a form of trajectory. It's been on the todo list for
a while to change this behavior, but it isn't done yet. Thanks for
you comments. For now you could use a script to split the file into
separate pieces and load them into separate molecules in VMD.