From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2008 - 11:25:09 CDT

Hi,
  Sure, what do you want to know? We ordered the basic boxes from
a local vendor and I put the rest of these system together myself.
The motherboard is an Asus P5N32-E SLI, with an Intel QX6700 CPU,
8GB of memory, running RHEL4u5 with the 64-bit 2.6.9-55 SMP kernel.
One of the test systems has the stock 800 watt PSU that came from
our local vendor, I installed a 1200 watt Thermaltake PSU in
the other one.

Both PSUs work fine, but the 1200 watt PSU is much
more convenient because it has six of the PCIe GPU power connectors,
and three of them are the new 8-pin variety making it easy to test
newer GPU cards. The one with the stock PSU runs fine, but I had
to use a bunch of molex-to-PCIe power converter cables. Both test
machines originally contained three GeForce 8800GTX GPUs, but most
recently I'm now testing one of them with a mix of the the Tesla
D870 (two GPUs) deskside unit, and I hope to test some of the newly
announced cards sometime in the near future.

At present these two test machines are just running CUDA tests and we
aren't doing much visualization on them, but we have previously had
them setup for running some very demanding VMD visualizations.

If you have more questions, let me know.