From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2008 - 19:03:06 CST

Hi,
  Yes, the DX file is a Data Explorer (also OpenDX) file. You can
use the existing VMD DX plugin source code to read and process the
data if you like. Here's a very brief page describing the format
as used by VMD and other tools such as APBS:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/molfile/dxplugin.html