From: Jim Pfaendtner (jpfaendt_at_hec.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 11:26:47 CST

Dear VMD-L,

I am trying to calculate several angles for each frame in my
trajectory. I'm using the geometry.tcl script posted on the vmd
website.

This code:

animate read dcd $dcdf beg 0 end $nf waitfor all
animate goto start

  puts [phi 0 PRO 35]
  animate next
  puts [phi 0 PRO 35]
  animate next
  puts [phi 0 PRO 35]
  animate next

works fine. It prints out the phi angle or the first three frames in
the trajectory with no problem. When I put this same code in a loop,
it doesn't work at all:

animate read dcd $dcdf beg 0 end $nf waitfor all
animate goto start

for { set j 0 } { $j < 3} { incr j } {
  puts [phi 0 PRO 35]
  animate next
}

this code just prints out the value from frame 0 three times.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this doesn't work? There
are a number of different ways to code this problem, but this way is
convenient. Also, it's really puzzling to me why this simple loop
isn't working right.

Jim