From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 10:26:18 CST

Per,
  From your earlier note, you listed your Python version as being
2.4.3, but unless you've compiled VMD from source code, that is not
what you're using inside of VMD. The VMD 1.8.6 binaries we ship include
a Python 2.2 interpreter, which is what is being used when you run VMD,
irrespective of whatever environment variables you may have set. If you
have told VMD to use your Python 2.4.3 libraries, this may explain your
troubles. If you wish to use Python 2.4.3 rather than the Python 2.2
included in VMD 1.8.6, you'll need to compile VMD from source, which I
can help you with. If not, then you'll want to download the VMD Python
library tar file from the web site, and set the environment variables
as described in the User's Guide. Let me know if you need more help
with this.