From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2008 - 22:45:18 CST

Wes,
  Which version of MSVC or MSVS are you running? There are two
different sets of VMD projects files for windows. The "msvc/winvmd"
project area is meant only for MSVC 6.x, and it will not necessarily
load into newer revs of MSVS. The other "msvc/vs2005" area should
work with the most recent revs of MSVS. They load fine for me, so
I'm not sure why you'd be having trouble. The VMD plugins aren't
compiled using MS projects, and are instead built using the cygwin
tools, so that may be a point of confusion for you. You will need to
install the cygwin tools before you build the plugins, and the plugins
must be built prior to compiling VMD itself. Let me know if you need
help getting your compilation environment bootstrapped. Building on
Windows is a little more involved than on the Unix-based platforms.