From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 12:34:10 CST

Hi Peter,
  You could write a simple Tcl proc that converts the polar
coordinates to cartesian coordinates fairly simply. Do you really
mean polar (2-D) coordinates, or are you actually thinking of spherical
or cylindrical (3-D) coordinates? If you are only looking to plot
2-D polar coordinates, then gnuplot would probably be the best bet, since
it can evaluate functions of data points. Its probably also possible to
do this with other plotting programs, but I'm more familiar with gnuplot
personally. If you want to plot these points in the same space as your
molecule in VMD, then you would want to use a Tcl proc that translates
the polar/cylindrical/spherical coordinates into cartesian coordinates,
and passes them to a "draw point { x y z }" call.

Thanks,