From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2007 - 23:56:37 CST

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Pascale Geysermans wrote:

PG> Hi,

hi pascale,

PG> I installed the precompiled version of vmd 1.8.6 on Fedora Core 7
PG> for EAMT64 intel (in french)

which VMD package exactly did you install?
there is no EAMT64, so i guess that you have an EM64t a.k.a. x86_64
cpu (try running "uname -a"). in that case you need the
LINUXAMD64 binary or you can install/run the LINUX binary
in 32-bit compatibility mode.

PG> I also installed JRE 6.3 of Sun as OpenGL library.

JRE would be java runtime environment, right? that has nothing
to do with OpenGL and thus no impact whatsorever on VMD.

PG> And when i try to run vmd, it happens nothing. Only the message
PG> if : syntaxe de l'expression
PG>
PG> What to do ?? Thanks a lot

can you please explain in more details what steps you did
to install VMD and then also check, whether you have the
pre-requisites for VMD installed (see the linux release
notes), most importantly /bin/csh.

if that is all done correctly, please try running (note the
backwards quotes):

/bin/csh -vx `which vmd` >& vmd-start-debug.log

and post the resulting vmd-start-debug.log file.

cheers,
   axel.