From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 16:02:48 CST

Hi Stefano,
  VMD uses the program "Stride" for its secondary structure determination
and cartoon representations. This Tcl script should allow you to use
the secondary structure information in a PDB file instead of what
Stride calculates. Also, you could use this script as a guide in
writing your own script routine to customize the secondary structure.
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/vmd_use_pdb_ss/

Thanks,