From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2007 - 07:24:35 CST

Olaf,
  1) You MUST increase the plugin major or minor version number in order
     to get VMD to replace a plugin with a newer version. If you don't,
     VMD will simply ignore it and use the existing version and/or the
     versions that may be statically linked in.

  2) Using exceptions, templates and other advanced C++ features that
     are known to be ABI-incompatible between different compilers
     and even between different compiler versions will get you into
     trouble, and these things should be avoided where possible for
     exactly the kinds of reasons you state. It's annoying, but not
     nearly so annoying as fixing the resultant problems on various
     platforms.

I don't have time now, but I can explain more of this when I get
back from traveling.

  John