From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2007 - 10:57:29 CDT

Hi,
  Before going any further, if you're using VMD 1.8.2, I would
_strongly_ recommend that you update to a current version of the program.
Much of the advice that people on the VMD-L list will give you will only
be relevant for the current versions of the program. Once you've updated
to a current version of VMD, I would suggest working your way through
the VMD tutorial here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/docs.html#tutorials

After working your way through the tutorials, you'll have a MUCH better
understanding of how things work.