From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2007 - 09:27:10 CDT

Per,
  This error message indicates that STRIDE failed to produce output, which
could be for any of a number of reasons ranging from unrecognized atom
names, too large of a structure, or even an internal STRIDE bug.
If you have the secondary structure assignment in an existing PDB file,
another way of assigning the secondary structure would be to use this
script to read it from the PDB header rather than querying STRIDE:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/vmd_use_pdb_ss/

I'm working on improving the VMD/STRIDE interface so that VMD will
selectively send structure components to STRIDE that STRIDE is able
to deal with, and avoid sending it structural components that are too
large for it to handle, for example.