From: Hu Zhonghan (zhonghan-hu_at_uiowa.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2007 - 12:31:54 CDT

thanks, John.
I read the release notes and run the following
vmd -dispdev text

it shows:
/homes/zhonghan/install/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUXAMD64: error while loading
shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory

then I search the file system and get the location of libstdc++.so.6 :
/lib64/ssa/libstdc++.so
/lib64/ssa/libstdc++.so.6
/lib64/ssa/libstdc++.so.6.0.0

I tried to modify the generated Makefile but it still fails. Is there
a simple way to solve this problem instead of installing a new library
in the default directory with root permission ?

> Hi,
> Please see the VMD Linux release notes, you undoubtably have one
> of the distributions that needs adjustment in terms of installing
> a missing libstdc++.so.5 library or something similar:
> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/linuxrelnotes.html
>
> Cheers,
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 10:05:15AM -0500, Hu Zhonghan wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just installed vmd.1.8.6 following the README file. The
>> installation was complete. But vmd does not actually work now. When I
>> type the command vmd, the console window starts but then it
>> immediately closes by itself without giving any error messages ( or
>> the error messages are too fast to be seen ). Can some one help me
>> figure out the problem ?
>>
>> the sourcecode I downloaded is
>> vmd-1.8.6.bin.LINUXAMD64.opengl.tar
>>
>> and here is part of the hardware information:

>> processor : 0
>> vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
>> model name : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 250
>> clflush size : 64
>> address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
>> power management: ts fid vid ttp
>>
>> the operation system is LINUX redhat
>>
>> thanks,
>> Zhonghan