From: Jan Saam (saam_at_charite.de)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2007 - 03:30:41 CDT

Dear Johannes,

in the measure command the improper dihedral is defined exactly the same
way as the dihedral angle.
It is the angle between the planes defined by atoms {i j k} and by {j k
l}. Thus the angle depends on the order of atoms given in the measure
command. (However, the exacte reverse order of atoms yields the same
value.) This is the way impropers are defined in XPLOR and in the IMPR
statement of CHARMM topology files where the central atom is listed
first. Note that in the IC table of CHARMM topologies impropers are
listed in a different order: Here the central atom is the marked with an
asterisk (*), typically the second atom.

I hope this helps,
Jan

--
Jan Saam