From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2007 - 20:36:13 CDT

Hi Cesar,
this is a good (and hard) question, but unfortunately there's no clear
answer. It really depends on exactly what you want to get out of your
calculation. To get a qualitative look at what's going on in the
interaction between the groups of interest, it should be sufficient to
just do the calculations between the solute components, perhaps with a
dielectric constant chosen based on the distance between them. If you
want to see what the overall electrostatic potential looks at a given
point during the trajectory, you'd probably want to use the PMEPot
plugin instead. If you really want to go for the true (screened)
electrostatic force between your two components, then I'd arrange things
as you had below, with selection1 being moleculeA and selection2 being
molecule B plus a solvent slice. This is just my gut feeling of roughly
what you'd want to do though; I haven't tried it myself, and certainly
don't have a theoretically rigorous description of what you're looking
at. You may want to go into some literature on solvent effects on this
length scale as you think of what to calculate. This, unfortunately, is
one of the downsides of explicit solvent models (there are, of course,
up sides as well ;-).

Best,
Peter