From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 15:42:08 CDT

Hi,
  The issue is that the POV-Ray scene file format is an ASCII format,
and the floating point coordinates for the rendered geometry either lacks
sufficient precision, or contains excessive precision causing the scene
file size to be bloated to hundreds of megabytes, depending on the scenario.
I would suggest trying VMD 1.8.6, as we have made a number of improvements
to the precision of the coordinates sent to POV-Ray in that version of VMD,
which may cure your problem. If not, then we can work through the details
of what you're rendering. If I can reproduce the problem here, I can
write filters to prevent such geometry from being written to the scene
file, though this will result in missing or "invisible" geometry when
the final scene is rendered. Let me know if you have a reproducable
test case that still occurs with VMD 1.8.6.