From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 12:23:16 CDT

Hi,
  Do you have MSMS installed as "msms" and in a directory that's in
your command search path? VMD finds MSMS using your command shell's
search path. If you can run it by invoking 'msms' at the command line,
then VMD should be able to find it. The error messages you got from
Perl look pretty harmless, since the configure script ran properly.
You just need to continue with the 'cd src; make install' steps as
described in the documentation, in order to complete the install.
Reinstalling VMD will have no bearing on whether or not it fins MSMS
however, just so you know... It will find MSMS by the command search
path, or if you manually set the environment variable MSMSSERVER to
the fully qualified pathname of the executable.