From: Justin Gullingsrud (justin_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 10:57:34 CST

Hi Brian,

You could also select "not helix" and draw it as Cartoon, and make another
rep with "helix" selected and draw as tube.

Cheers,
Justin

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:48:47AM -0600, John Stone wrote:

> Brian,
> There's no built-in way of doing this, but you could probably
> patch the code in the DrawMolItem::draw_structure() method in DrawMolItem.C
> to do this. Since I'm currently working on new ribbons and tube
> representations for VMD I've been making a lot of changes to various
> things recently, and once the new ribbons/tube code is done, the "Cartoon"
> representation is an obvious target for significant revamping.
> I don't know how far I'll be able to go with this for the release of
> VMD 1.8, but its possible that if I get all of the ribbons/tube code
> finished soon enough that I might have time to take a stab at updating
> the "Cartoon" rep to use the new ribbons/tube code, and at the time I'd
> do this, I could potentially add in new options to allow you to customize
> the behavior of the "Cartoon" rep to do things like replacing helices
> tubes/ribbons instead of cylinders, etc. I'll have to see how it goes.
>
> Thanks,
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 04:24:13PM -0800, B. Bennion wrote:
> >
> > Hello VMD users
> >
> > Is it possible to change the default graphic for helices to a coil instead
> > of a cylinder?
> >
> > Brian
> >
> > Graduate Research Assistant
> > Dep. Medicinal Chemistry, University of Washington
> > Tel# (206)616-2779
> > BOX 357610 Seattle WA 98195
> >
> > email--bbennion_at_u.washington.edu
> > web page--http://students.washington.edu/bbennion

  Justin Gullingsrud        3111 Beckman Institute        217-244-8946
  I been dropping the new science, and I be kicking the new knowledge,
  and I'm seeing to a degree that you can't get in college.  -- b.boys