From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2007 - 12:24:57 CDT

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 01:12:03PM +0200, Ondrej Sramek wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm working on molfile plugin for CIF, but I'm stil experiencing few problems:
> - I'm doing it under WIN XP, so I'm compilling my molfile into .dll, but VMD only react on .so , so I have rename the suffix. Is it OK?

Yes, just rename the .DLL suffix to .so, and it will work fine.

> - does any reasonable documentation exists on how the plugin API of VMD communicate with the plugin?

Axel posted the documentation link already, but there's also further
information within the molfile_plugin.h include file. Feel free to ask
me questions if you need additional help or would like someone to compile
and test your plugin on the other non-windows platforms.

> - I have already completed that plugin, but I have still problems with VMD - I can see that plugin, I can find a .cif file and try to load it, but during loading, it crashes after loading timesteps. What is the next calling? What am I dong wrong?

It could be one of several things. If you email me a copy of your plugin
I'll try and help you get it fixed. As Axel suggested, logging into biocore
is also a good way to talk to us, although I'm going to be away from the office
on and off some of the next few days, so email is fine too.

Cheers,
  John