From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 09:39:22 CDT

Hi Ran,
  It depends greatly on what type of structure file you are
that are loaded, VMD "guesses" based on the string atom names.
The simple heuristic that does the "guessing" about atom types
is shown below:

// return a 'default' value for a given atom name
float BaseMolecule::default_radius(char *nm) {
  float val = 1.5;
  // some names start with a number
  while (*nm && isdigit(*nm))
    nm++;