From: Justin Gullingsrud (justin_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 08:37:04 CDT

Hi,

Have you tried TkCon? It's a Tk-based terminal that's easy to embed within
VMD, replacing the regular text console, and it has quite of bit of readline's
functionality, including command, filename, and variable completion, access
to history via the cursor keys, as well as syntax highlighting and other nice
features. You can get a modified version from the VMD script library at
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/tkcon/;
we've added a workaround to make TkCon handle long lines more efficiently,
or you can get the original version at tkcon.sourceforge.net. If you use
the sourceforge version you'll have to enter "tkcon attach main" at the
command prompt after starting TkCon in order to have access to VMD's commands.

I'm not sure why tclreadline is failing; VMD doesn't use the Tcl_Main
procedure that tclsh uses, so it might not be a compatible environment
for tclreadine.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Justin

--
  Justin Gullingsrud        3111 Beckman Institute        217-244-8946
  I been dropping the new science, and I be kicking the new knowledge,