From: Marc Baaden (baaden_at_smplinux.de)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 11:01:13 CDT

Hi,

I was trying to run a little cross-comparison on the rendering
packages supported by VMD. After finally getting most of them
to work, I ran into problems with some of the packages,

- Radiance: produces just a black picture .. any hints ?
- Rayshade: is incredily slow .. but I guess that's just the way
            it is ?
- Art: just a note, the comment lines starting with // produce
       syntax errors

and have some questions about ..

- Tachyon: the output seems to lack anti-aliasing and is very
           shiny. Can this easily be improved ? Also transparency
           is not very nice.

- Povray: output seems a bit dark and also very shiny.

- RenderMan: I use BMRT, are there other (non-commercial) options ?
             Has anybody combined vmd RIB files with custom shaders ?

I would also be interested in any user-contributed kind of tweaks/
improvements/modifications of the renderings (like eg customized
header files) if anybody wants to share them.

Best wishes,

  Marc Baaden

--
 Dr. Marc Baaden - Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics, Oxford University
 mailto:baaden_at_smplinux.de  - ICQ# 11466242 -  http://www.marc-baaden.de