From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 12:46:19 CDT

Hi Marc,
  We've fixed a few bugs, so hopefully we've already taken
care of the problem you ran into there. You can install multiple
versions of VMD by installing them into different directories
by editing the configure script prior to installation
(think of encap for example). Depending on how you like your
environment setup, you can then name the startup scripts according
to VMD versions, or just include whichever directory in your path
that you prefer. There are lots of ways to do this. Locally we have
about 30 versions of VMD installed on our machines so that we can
compare their behavior when bugs get fixed etc. Let us know if you
need help with this.