From: Cesar Delgado (beettlle_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 15:47:34 CDT

I have not been able to compile VMD under RedHat7.2. I would like it to run
on this machine because it has a GeForce3 but I have been unable to compile
it with either MESA or the NVIDIA libGL. I am getting, what I think is
strange scripting error, when I try to compile VMD. I run `make depend`
after running the configure script with `./configure LINUX OPENGL`(this is
the simplified version I have been lead to use just to see if will
compile)and the first couple of lines look like this:

"if [ "-MM" != "" ]; then \
echo "Building Makefile dependencies"; \
  echo "Creating " Makedata.depend " ..."; \
  if [ -f Makedata.depend ]; then \
    mv -f -f Makedata.depend Makedata.depend.old; \
fi; \
  touch Makedata.depend; \
for i in ZZZ OpenGLDisplayDevice.C OpenGLRenderer.C Hershey.C VMDThreads.C
Animation.C ArtDisplayDevice.C AtomColor.C AtomRep.C AtomSel.C Axes.C
BaseMolecule.C BondSearch.C CmdAnimate.C CmdColor.C CmdDisplay.C CmdLabel.C
CmdMaterial.C CmdMenu.C CmdMol.C CmdMouse.C CmdRender.C CmdTrans.C CmdUser.C
CommandQueue.C CoorPluginData.C DisplayDevice.C Displayable.C DispCmds.C
DrawMolecule.C DrawMolItem.C DrawMolItem2.C DrawMolItemRibbons.C
DrawMolItemMSMS.C DrawMolItemSurface.C DrawMolItemVolume.C DrawForce.C
FileRenderList.C FileRenderer.C FPS.C GeometryAngle.C GeometryAtom.C
GeometryBond.C GeometryDihedral.C GeometryList.C GeometryMol.C
GeometrySpring.C ImportGraphicsPlugin.C Inform.C Isosurface.C JRegex.C
JString.C MaterialList.C MaterialUser.C Matrix4.C Measure.C Molecule.C
MoleculeList.C MoleculeGrasp.C MoleculeRaster3D.C MoleculeGraphics.C
MolFilePlugin.C MolInfo.C Mouse.C MSMSInterface.C P_JoystickTool.C
P_TugTool.C P_GrabTool.C P_PinchTool.C P_UIVR.C P_Buttons.C P_Tracker.C
P_Tool.C P_CmdTool.C P_Sensor.C P_SensorConfig.C ParseTree.C PickList.C
PickModeCenter.C PickModeForce.C PickModeList.C PickModeMolLabel.C
PickModeMove.C PlainTextInterp.C Plugin.C PluginMgr.C POV3DisplayDevice.C
PSDisplayDevice.C VMDQuat.C RadianceDisplayDevice.C RayShadeDisplayDevice.C
R3dDisplayDevice.C ReadEDM.C RenderManDisplayDevice.C Scene.C
SnapshotDisplayDevice.C SpringTool.C Stage.C STLDisplayDevice.C Stride.C
Surf.C SymbolTable.C TachyonDisplayDevice.C TextEvent.C Timestep.C
UIObject.C UIText.C VMDApp.C VMDDir.C VMDDisplayList.C VMDMenu.C VMDTitle.C
VrmlDisplayDevice.C utilities.C vmd.C ; do \
  if [ "$i" != "ZZZ" ]; then \
        echo checking dependencies for $i ...; \
        g++ -MM -Wall -O9 -march=i586 -fomit-frame-pointer
-finline-functions -fexpensive-optimizations -fcaller-saves -fthread-jumps
-fstrength-reduce -DARCH_LINUX -DVMDOPENGL -DVMDGRAPHICS -DVMDTHREADS
-DUSEPOSIXTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -DVMDSURF -DVMDMSMS -DVMDISOSURFACE
-DVMDSTATICPLUGINS -I/usr/X11R6/include -I../plugins/include
-I../plugins/LINUX/molfile -I../plugins/LINUX/import_graphics -I. $i | \
                grep -v "/usr/include" >> Makedata.depend ; \
  fi; \
done; \
for i in ZZZ hash.c vmdsock.c vmddlopen.c pcre.c ; do \
  if [ "$i" != "ZZZ" ]; then \
        echo checking dependencies for $i ...; \
        gcc -MM -Wall -O9 -march=i586 -fomit-frame-pointer
-finline-functions -fexpensive-optimizations -fcaller-saves -fthread-jumps
-fstrength-reduce -DARCH_LINUX -DVMDOPENGL -DVMDGRAPHICS -DVMDTHREADS
-DUSEPOSIXTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -DVMDSURF -DVMDMSMS -DVMDISOSURFACE
-DVMDSTATICPLUGINS -I/usr/X11R6/include -I../plugins/include
-I../plugins/LINUX/molfile -I../plugins/LINUX/import_graphics -I. $i | \
                grep -v "/usr/include" >> Makedata.depend ; \
  fi; \
done; \
echo ParseTree.o AtomLexer.o AtomParser.o: y.tab.h \
>> Makedata.depend; \
cp Makedata.depend Makedata.depend.LINUX ; \
else \
  echo "Cannot find dependencies; your compiler does not support dependency
checking."; \
        fi
Building Makefile dependencies"

The "Building Makefile dependencies" at the end of this message leads me to
beleive that this is the first line I should be seeing on my screen and not
all the scripting that I see now.

Any help would be greatly apreceated.

-Cesar Delgado