From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 22:39:49 CDT

Dear VMD-L,
  Rob Brunner and I have put together a new test version
of VMD for MacOS X (native OpenGL) which performs much more
smoothly than the previous test versions. This one is a
bundle like the last one. Rob has improved the behavior
of the VMD bundle startup process substantially since the
previous version, so the new one starts a bit faster and
with one bouncing icon rather than two :-)

You can download the new VMD disk image here:
  ftp://ftp.ks.uiuc.edu/pub/mdscope/vmd/alpha/VMD-1.8a20.dmg.gz

There are still various bugs limitations with this version:
  The new version still has issues with window resizing, and
there are still changes we need to make to allow people with
single-button mice to access all of the mouse manipulation
modes in the graphics window (this version still doesn't
recognize some of the mouse+key combinations need to make
a single button mouse fully usable). None of the Tk-based
scripts such as the sequence viewer, movie maker, etc, work
on the Mac yet, but we hope to get these running in a few
weeks.

Special thanks go to the FLTK developers who responded to our
bug reports and fixed bugs that were impacting the mouse event
handling performance of VMD on MacOS X. We owe a lot to the FLTK
team for developing the native MacOS version of FLTK that we use as
the foundation for the native OpenGL version of VMD.

We'll continue to announce our progress when we have updated
test versions of VMD 1.8. If you find new VMD bugs besides the
obvious ones I've listed above, please let us know.

Thanks!!!