From: Holger Frauenrath (mail_at_frauenrath.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 11:11:11 CDT

On Wednesday, July 3, 2002, at 02:47 PM, John Stone wrote:

> Dear VMD-L,
> Those of you that have been trying out the new native MacOS X
> version may be interested to try a preliminary "bundle"-based
> version

First of all: thank you very much. This is great. And it seems to work
well. Concerning the performance, I have the impression that it is already
improved over v1.7 using X11. I have some small issues with VMD 1.8a16 on
Mac OS X:

* Can someone point me to some documentation or help files, in particular
concerning the changes in the interface compared to v1.7? I have a number
of stupid "howto" questions, and the VMD 1.8a17 documentation on the
website still seems to describe the interface of v1.7 ... (I cannot find
an obvious way to toggle the status of molecules in the list in the VMD
window, or to delete molecules from the list, I wonder what primary and
secondary files are for ... that kind of questions)

* Choosing the Help menu makes VMD look for Netscape, which it does not
find (I haven't installed it)

* I cannot load old pdb files generated with Chem3D. I figured that the
reason is that they have Mac line endings (resaving them with unix line
endings helps). Could you make VMD accept Mac line endings?

And then I have one general question:

* What are other people's recommendations on how to render files without
using X11 apps? I found that rendering with Tachyon produces decent output
in a readable file format. Are there other ways? Is there a way to use
raster3d without X11 (I liked the renderings a lot)?

Thanks.
Holger