From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 13:40:21 CDT

Dear Erik,
  Yes, you can perform the same move commands that you do with the mouse
by using the the atom selection features in VMD. First you need to create
an atom selection, then you can use the "moveby" method on the atom selection
to alter the position of the selection. For an entire molecule, you'd just
want to use "all" as your selection text. There's an example of how to do
these sorts of things in the User's guide here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.7.1/ug/node181.html

Be sure to read the entire "moveby" user's guide text, as it illustrates
several ways to accomplish the same thing using different features, and
from what you asked, it sounds like you just need the built-in "moveby"
atom selection feature.

Thanks for using VMD,