From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 01:18:34 CDT

Dear Johannes,
  All of the file reading/writing code in the new pre-release version
of VMD has been seriously re-worked, and so it is likely there are
new bugs/problems that need to be fixed, so its VERY useful to know when
people have trouble with this pre-release version, as we will take a look
at the new code and see what's causing these problems. Can you try loading
the same files in VMD 1.7.1 and VMD 1.8a10 and tell us how their behavior
differs? Alternately, if you have files you can let us have copies of,
we'd love to be able to use these to test locally. The Amber file readers
are currently in the process of being re-vamped, as there were several
limitations in the old VMD code preventing certain kinds of Amber 6 files
from being loaded correctly, and we are writing new code in order to read
the Amber 7 files now. If you're willing to let us get copies of the
files that cause problems on VMD 1.8, that will make testing these
file readers easier for us. I'll see what we can do about this before
the next alpha version is made available. We've already fixed quite a
large number of other bugs/problems that users reported from the alpha 10
version, so the next alpha version should go more smoothly in most cases.

  John